The Example of Job

on Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Through all of this Job did not sin nor did he blame God." - Job 1:22 (NASB)

When God called Job "the greatest of all the men of the east" (Job
1:3), the title was well-deserved. Job, whose name was synonymous
with integrity under fire, had ten children, vast land holdings,
servants and incredible wealth. Then, without warning, he lost
everything, including his children and his health. How could anyone
endure this without becoming bitter? "Through all of this Job did
not sin nor did he blame God." Instead he asked, "Shall we indeed
accept good from God and not accept adversity?" (Job 2:10).


Let's consider these possibilities:

(1) He recognized God's right to control events in his life. When the
dust settled, Job said, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him"
(Job 13:15). He understood that anything God permits is ultimately
for the best, so he said, "I know that You can do all things, and that
no purpose of Yours can be thwarted." (Job 42:2).

(2) He looked for wisdom in the adversity. Listen: "My flesh may be
destroyed, yet, I will see God and I long for that moment." (Job
19:26-27). When you lose everything temporal, your values change
radically. Job got his eyes off the here and now, took the long view
of a future without pain and sorrow and was strengthened to handle
whatever life threw at him.

(3) He acknowledged his limited understanding. Instead of feeling
compelled to explain every why and wherefore, Job told God, "I have
talked about things that are far beyond my understanding, I heard
about You from others; now I have seen You with my own eyes!" (Job
42:3-5). Seeing God in it . . . that was Job's secret!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


span.fullpost {display:inline;}