Need a Nail?

on Sunday, May 3, 2009

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . .
" - Galatians 6:14 (NIV)

The youth pastor was concerned that the beaches of Florida, the site
of their upcoming evangelism trip, would distract his kids from their
purpose, so he made a big wooden cross. Just before they climbed onto
the bus he said to them, "Our reason for going here is to lift up
Christ, so we're going to take this cross with us everywhere we go."

Feeling awkward and insecure, the kids dragged the big cross on to the
bus. It banged against the seats all the way there. It went with
them into restaurants. It stayed with them overnight. It stood in
the sand as they shared their faith with thousands of other kids who'd
come for spring break. At first it embarrassed them. Then gradually
it became a point of identification; a constant reminder of who they
belonged to, and why they'd come.

The night before they went home, the youth pastor handed each kid two
nails and said, "If you're willing to commit your entire life to
Christ, I want you to hammer one nail into the cross, and keep the
other one with you as a reminder of this commitment."

Fifteen years later a successful stockbroker called the youth leader
and said, "I still have that nail. Whenever the pressure is on, or
I'm tempted to go astray, I just reach into my pocket and feel it, and
immediately I'm reminded that the core of my life is the commitment I
made to Christ." Think maybe you need a nail too?


P.S. - Can I ask a favor of you? This week, I'm heading to Costa
Rica for a week-long mission trip. Would you pray for our missions
team? Specifically, we've been asking those that will to pray
Ephesians 6:19 ("Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth,
words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery
of the gospel".) My team and I thank you, in advance, for your
faithfulness. The devotionals will resume upon my return.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


span.fullpost {display:inline;}