What Manner of Love is This?

on Sunday, May 3, 2009

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother
or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive many times as
much, and will inherit eternal life." - Matthew 19:29 (NASB)

Sacrificial love is about work, not play; it's about becoming a servant, not
a hero. Jesus said, "Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your
servant;" (Mark 10:43). You can give without loving, but you can't love
without giving. Real fulfillment can't be found in self-centeredness. One
Christian leader writes: "When I set about the task of loving, I usually end
up giving instead of receiving. Love inevitably costs me three commodities
that are most precious: my time, my energy and my money. I don't part with
these easily because I have them in limited quantities. It's time to strip
away the false glamour that the world (and sometimes the church) puts on
loving, and tell the truth: true love is sacrificial."

A wise woman once said, "When I get up each morning, I remind myself that
today I may be called upon to give more love, more care and more patience
than I get back. In times of sickness and hardship, it seems that I'm
required to do this for weeks or months on end. But when it's my turn and
I'm the person in need, God gives it back, either through my family or
someone else. And it always comes back in an amount equal to my need."
Peter wondered if it was all worthwhile when he asked Jesus, "'We have
left everything and followed You. What do we get out of it?' Jesus
replied, 'And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or
father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive
many times as much, and will inherit eternal life.'" Furthermore, "For
God is not unfair. He will not forget how hard you have worked for him and
how you have shown your love to him by caring for other Christians"
(Hebrews 6:10). This kind of love may cost you, but gives back so much more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


span.fullpost {display:inline;}